The great and the good of the hairdressing world gathered at London’s Grosvenor House hotel last night for HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards 2019.
Robert Eaton took home the night’s top prize after being named 2019 British Hairdresser of the Year. Robert was also inducted into the British Hairdressing Awards Hall of Fame for his three consecutive Schwarzkopf Professional Colour Technician of the Year wins in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
He said: “I’m absolutely speechless! There are so many people here who have mentored, helped and guided me to where I am now. I’m so thankful to everyone who voted for my collection! I was overwhelmed to be nominated in the first place, so to win this year is absolutely mind-blowing.
‘One day this could be you’
“When I first started in the hairdressing industry, my dad gave me a Trevor Sorbie book, and he said, ‘One day this could be you winning those hairdressing awards,’ and now I’ve done it!
“I’m madly passionate about the hairdressing industry, I love every single element about it. It’s been my whole life since I left school and I hope I can be a mentor to other young hairdressers too. I would love to thank my Wella Professionals family and most of all, the amazing salon teams at Russell Eaton in Barnsley and Leeds!”
Other winners on the night included Federico Patelli from TONI&GUY, who won the inaugural Trend Image of the Year title, and Jacky Chan, who won International Collection of the Year.
Alongside Robert Eaton, Marcella Moccia of Room97 Creative Hairdressing in Wakefield and Michelle Thompson from Wolverhampton were inducted into the BHA Hall of Fame.
The event was hosted by TV star Rylan Clark-Neal with entertainment from the Hoosiers. Hosts Schwarzkopf Professional presented a stunning ‘Celebration of Colour’ show.
Here’s the full list of winners:
Specialist Category Winners 2019
- British Hairdresser of the Year: Robert Eaton, Russell Eaton, Leeds
- Afro Hairdresser of the Year: Rick Roberts, Rick Roberts, Beverley (East Yorkshire)
- Artistic Team of the Year: Mark Leeson Artistic Team, Mansfield
- Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year: Hayley Bishop & Sophie Springett, TONI&GUY North Audley Street, London
- Men’s Hairdresser of the Year: Jim Shaw & Daisy Carter, Essensuals, Billericay
- Newcomer of the Year: Alex Morton, Jamie Stevens, London
- Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour
- Technician of the Year: Sophie Gibson & Jonathan Turner, Hooker & Young, Newcastle
- Trend Image of the Year (new): Federico Patelli, TONI&GUY Victoria, London
Regional Winners 2019
- Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Nathan Jasztal & Zoe Jasztal, Silhouette Du Barry, Chelmsford
- London Hairdresser of the Year: Andy Heasman, RUSH Victoria, London
- Midlands Hairdresser of the Year: James Earnshaw, Bad Apple Hair, Wolverhampton
- North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Alexander Turnbull, Alexander Hair & Beauty, Hull
- North Western Hairdresser of the Year: Jon Wilsdon, TONI&GUY Deansgate, Manchester
- Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year: Sharon Malcolm, Sharon Malcolm Hairdressing, Down
- Scottish Hairdresser of the Year: Jason Hall, Jason Hall Hairdressing, Edinburgh
- Southern Hairdresser of the Year: Andrew Smith, Andrew Smith Salons, Portsmouth
- Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year: Martin Crean, MODE, Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire
- International Collection of the Year: Jacky Chan, Oscar Oscar Chadstone, Melbourne, Australia